Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The road not taken by robert frost

please think of the figurative language used in the following poem!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
•And sorry I could not travel both
•And be one traveler, long I stood
•And looked down as far as I could
•To where it bent in the undergrowth;
•Then took the other, as just as fair,
•And having perhaps the better claim,
•Because it was grassy an wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
•Had worn them really about the same.
•And both that morning equally lay
•It leaves no step had trodden black.
•Oh, I kept the first for another day!
•Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
•I doubted if I should ever come back.
•I shall be telling this with a sigh
•Somewhere ages and ages hence:
•Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
•I took the one les traveled by,
•And that has made all the difference.

4 comments:

  1. i think it uses symbol. The roads in the poem are not merely ordinary roads, they represent any choices in life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frost really likes used symbol in his poem, including this one but not only the roads that symbolize the alternatives in life, the poem also consist of hiperbole in the line "somewhere ages and ages hence"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what Indah and Sari said, but beside symbol and hyperbole this poem also has some irony, verbal irony, the line 'I shall be telling this with a sigh' and the line 'and that has made all difference' seem contradict. How can someone tell with a sigh for a choice that make all difference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the poem describe not only symbol (as the road represents any choice in life) but Frost also use a lot imagery to let the reader know the sense of experience such as yellow wood, better claim, grassy and wanted wear and soon. I also think that frost pit a powerful hyperbole in his last stanza

    ReplyDelete